CIMS hosted a panel on Academic Careers in Mathematics on June 6, 2018. This panel focused on the transition from undergraduate through graduate school and beyond. Topics included how to choose a graduate program, life in graduate school, postdoctoral positions and the rewards/demands of a faculty position. The panel consisted of
- Dr. Zachary Grant, PhD UMass-Dartmouth, rising postdoc at Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Dr. Jiahua Jang, PhD UMass-Dartmouth, rising postdoc at Virginia Tech.
- Prof. Silvia Jimenez-Bolanos, Assistant Professor, Colgate University
- Prof. Padraig O’Cathain, Assistant Professor, WPI
- Patchara Santawisook, PhD student, WPI
The panel heard questions from participants in the NSF-funded REU in Industrial Mathematics and Statistics, and undergraduate students from WPI.